After spending two years on a working holiday visa in Scotland, I ended up having more stuff then I had originally moved there with. I had moved to Scotland with a 40L backpack, my DSLR, and a laptop. However after 2 years there I had accumulated a few books, some movies, more clothes and other random things. I managed to throw out, donate, or sell most of my newly acquired junk, but there was some things I wanted to keep. After the purging of my things, I was left with my 40L backpack plus a small piece of luggage.
I had all my things packed a ready to go, but first I had planned a month long trip through Morocco, upon my return I’d say goodbye to my friends in Scotland and then pick-up the rest of my things and head back to Canada. Except on my way back from Morocco, I was denied entry at the Scotland Border. They eventually granted me entry for the night, just until the next flight to Canada. This meant I had to buy a new last minute plane ticket, this ended up being all my savings. And with airlines charging so much extra for another piece of luggage I ended up leaving a suitcase behind with plans to have it sent to me later on.
Sending My Stuff Home After Living Abroad
After doing lots of research I found a company called Send My Bag, they specialize in sending your luggage abroad for you. The best part is they will pick up your luggage from your door, and then deliver it straight to your door in another country. This was the biggest selling point for me, as my friend was holding onto my suitcase for me. This meant she didn’t have to lug my suitcase to the airport or post office to send it to me.
- Send My Bag offers door to door service
- Sending from the UK to Canada only took 2 days for delivery
- There’s no need to put your stuff in boxes, they accept suitcases and backpacks
- They also offer delivery of sport equipment such as bicycles and skis
- They work in most countries.
The Not So Good
- The cost can be expensive if your stuff isn’t worth much. I paid £102.00 to get my stuff sent to me.
- Like most delivery companies they’re not able to give a specific pick-up time. So you could be stuck waiting at home from 9-5, until someone shows up.
In the end I was able to get my luggage delivered to me from Scotland to Canada within 2 days and if I ever needed to send my luggage abroad again, I’d defiantly use Send My Bag to do it.
*I wrote about Send My Bag because I used them and was happy with the service, I was not paid or asked to write this review, however this post does contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you I will receive a small commission.